Union Pacific Tax Refunds

If you are a current or former employee, who was employed by Union Pacific Railroad during the years 1991 through 2017, you may be eligible to receive a refund through this program.

The final deadline to request a check reissue is November 11 2021. If we have not received your request by November 11, 2021, we will not be able to reissue your payment.

We’re pleased to report that a Union Pacific court win entitles many current and former UP employees to refunds of Railroad Retirement and Medicare taxes on stock awards and certain lump-sum payments for ratification of labor agreements.

Certain current and former employees who received stock compensation (e.g. Retention Shares, Retention Units, Performance Units, or from exercising stock options) and/or lump-sum bonuses paid upon ratification of labor agreements during the years 1991 through 2017 are eligible. However, not everyone who received a stock award or lump-sum ratification bonus is eligible for a refund.

The deadline to submit a Consent Form passed on March 12, 2019. We are no longer accepting submissions. If your consent was not submitted by the deadline, the IRS will not issue you a refund.

If you previously submitted a valid Consent Form, refunds were paid out as follows: November 2019 – tax years 2008-2017, April 2020 – tax years 1991-1997 and 2007, June 2020 – underpaid interest for tax years 1991-2007, and August 2021 – underpaid interest for tax years 2008-2017.

Please visit the Frequently Asked Questions section of this website for additional information.

If you would like to update your address, click here.

Your Legal Rights and Options
Submit a Consent Form As of March 12, 2019, the deadline to submit a Consent Form has passed and we can no longer accept any new forms.
Exclude Yourself If you choose not to consent, Union Pacific cannot obtain your refund.
Do Nothing If you did not submit a Consent Form by March 12, 2019, Union Pacific cannot obtain your refund from the IRS.